Re: Huge size of Data directory

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Anthony Presley <anthony(at)resolution(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Huge size of Data directory
Date: 2006-01-18 21:57:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 05:07:39PM -0600, Anthony Presley wrote:
> I do routinely vacuum. I vacuum'd it yesterday, and about a week before
> that, and probably on a 2-3 week basis prior to that. And, I vacuum using
> "analyze".

Recommended vacuum frequency depends on usage, but most people
consider "regularly" to mean daily, and more often than that if
they do a lot of updates/deletes. Some people set up a cron job
so it happens automatically.

> Running 7.1, I believe.

"SELECT version()" should say for sure, and if it's really 7.1 then
you should upgrade as soon as possible. A lot of bugs have been
fixed since then, some involving data loss; a few bloat problems
have been fixed since then as well.

--
Michael Fuhr