Re: Huge number of disk writes after migration to 8.1

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Marcin <migor(at)op(dot)pl>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Huge number of disk writes after migration to 8.1
Date: 2006-01-18 00:51:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Marcin <migor(at)op(dot)pl> writes:

> > So there's not 81952, BUT, the tables are created (and dropped) quite
> > often during the work hours (and they're regular, not TEMPORARY tables).
> > I also find out, that there were 11170 tables created (and most of them
> > dropped) today.
>
> Looking at the code, stats entries for dropped tables are cleaned out
> only when a VACUUM command is done; which is something we probably ought
> to change.

I was going to ask if you were confusing pgstat_vacuum_tabstat with a
VACUUM command, when I noticed that only in vacuum() is that function
called! This surprised me and I agree that it should be changed. I'm
not sure what would be a more appropiate place to call it, however.

Maybe in heap_drop_with_catalog() we could place a call, or a limited
version that'd only "vacuum" the table being dropped.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
"Having your biases confirmed independently is how scientific progress is