SV-RUG meeting tonight, 7pm in Santa Clara...

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)gigave(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SV-RUG meeting tonight, 7pm in Santa Clara...
Date: 2006-01-17 18:41:22
Lists: sfpug
Sorry for the SPAM and short notice, but technical interests often
cross lines.  For those interested, let me know.  -sc

Howdy folks!  The day has arrived for user group faithfuls,
professional engineers, hobbyist hackers, new technologiests, and
otherwise interested individuals to gather round 'ye ole' projector[1]
and talk about all things Ruby in our first South Bay Ruby User Group
Meeting (?? I think first?  *shrug*).  Read on for the official
details and invite.

Administrativa: If you have questions not included below, won't be
able to attend and did RSVP, will be able to attend but didn't RSVP,
are hopelessly lost on your way to the facility (or are planning on
getting lost on your way to the facility), or believe firmly that I've
omitted something that should have been included below, drop me an
email off list and I will promptly correct my yet-to-be-discovered,
and most likely brain-dead, mistake.  -sc

Time:
	7:00-9:00pm PST, January 17th, 2006

Place (directions included below):
	3075 Raymond St.
	Santa Clara, CA 95054

Agenda:
	Since this is likely the first South Bay RUG (at least in the
	last few years), and I haven't identified folks interested in
	speaking, I'm going to keep the potential topics broad and
	throw down a few areas of potential interest that I field on
	the fly.  After tomorrow, we'll see what sticks after we do a
	quick round-table to see what everyone is up to with Ruby
	(including myself after having gone dark on this community for
	a few years).

	*) The vast strengths and soft under-belly/weaknesses of Rails
	   (though Rails seems to be a covered topic by Joe).  I've
	   run into a number of interesting gotcha's in doing a few
	   lighttpd instances that are doing more than 200r/s (peaking
	   near 1K/s) and can field Q's on this until the weeee hours
	   of the night (though I promise we won't go past 9pm unless
	   we've got a feisty crowd).
	*) Writing Ruby extensions in C
	*) Using ruby + memcache
	*) Network management via Ruby
	*) Database apps (specifically OLAP + Ruby + PostgreSQL)
	*) XML parsing (via libxml)
	*) mod_ruby (does anyone still use Apache any more? *grin*)
	*) Swifty Nift Rails apps (eg: hieraki)
	*) ???  Other topics/suggestions?

	[1] Note: As of about 10 hours ago (say 4pm PST), our
	projector crapped out and our replacement bulb isn't going to
	arrive until later this week.  Does someone have a projector
	they'd be willing to cart under arm for this meeting?  I don't
	imagine there will be a pre-made slide deck available for a
	round table discussion, but it's handy for examples and jumping
	into shared irb(1) sessions.

Food/Drink:
	Light snacks and beverages.  I didn't get this out in time to
	coordinate Pizza or some such meal, but we did get about 15
	RSVPs for the night so we may do a quick call to a local pizza
	joint or migrate our discussion to a local eatery (if you
	prefer non-Meatosaurus like meals, please let me know off
	list).  If enough folks show up with $~10 in hand, we could
	order a pizza or five and dine in style with paper plates.
	There is a Red Robin or St. John's near by along with a host
	of other restaurants if folks decide to continue discussions
	in a more lively setting.

Map:
	http://www.gigave.com/contact/map

	Note: Google Maps shows us in the wrong place and our location
	is better described aerially as "3041 Raymond St" (which isn't
	a valid address in the real world).

Directions:

	I recommend using the "De la Cruz Blvd" exit instead of
	getting off on San Tomas unless you like skipping over 4 lanes
	of thick traffic in about 300 yards.  If you're going to take
	Central Expy or have easy access to San Tomas (or don't mind
	tempting fate and driving like a race car driver), use Google
	Maps for details, but in 20 words or less: left on Scott, left
	on Space, 3075 Raymond will be on the right.

	If you're coming from elsewhere in the Bay, I've included
	Google's directions below, but have commented on them and
	prefixed my blatherings accordingly.  In a nut shell: US-101,
	get off on De la Cruz Blvd, right on Central Expy, right on
	Lafayette St., left on Duane Ave, left on raymond St, arrive at
	3075 Raymond St.  It's pretty easy to find, but I've included
	a more extensive version below.

If you're South Bound on 101:
	1.	Take the De la Cruz Blvd exit to Santa Clara - go 0.2 mi
		(sc)The exit right before SJC/87.

	2.	Bear right at De la Cruz Blvd - go 0.3 mi
		(sc)Off ramp dumps you onto De la Cruz Blvd.

	3.	Bear right at Central Expy - go 0.2 mi
		(sc)This is your first actual turn and is your first
		(sc)right at the first light after getting off of the
		(sc)freeway.

	4.	Continue toward Lafayette St - go 0.1 mi
		(sc)Not sure why this is here, but you'll pass under
		(sc)some train-tracks.  I think we can blame city
		(sc)planners/engineers.

	5.	Bear right at Lafayette St - go 0.2 mi
		(sc)Make another right at the next stop light.

	6.	Turn left at Duane Ave - go 0.3 mi
		(sc)You will pass a power plant on the left and this
		(sc)will be your last opportunity to take a left
		(sc)before crossing over 101.  A storage company will
		(sc)be in front of you: turn left.

	7.	Turn left at Raymond St - go 0.1 mi
		(sc)After passing the Olympic Boat Center, make a
		(sc)left.  We will be the first data center on the
		(sc)left.  If you see WilTel, you've gone too far (we
		(sc)share a parking lot with them).

	8.	Ring the door bell.

If you're North Bound on 101:
	1.	Bear right into the US-101 N entry ramp to San Jose - go 35 mi
		(sc)This is the last exit before 87 merges with 101
		(sc)and where there's the square eBay/PayPal sign.

	2.	Take the De la Cruz Blvd exit to Santa Clara - go 0.2 mi
		(sc)Take a left when you get light.  This will dump
		(sc)you on to De la Cruz Blvd.

	3.	Skip to step 3 of South Bound 101 directions.

PS  I'm impressed you read this far.

--
Sean Chittenden