SV-RUG meeting tonight, 7pm in Santa Clara...

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)gigave(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SV-RUG meeting tonight, 7pm in Santa Clara...
Date: 2006-01-17 18:41:22
Lists: sfpug

Sorry for the SPAM and short notice, but technical interests often
cross lines. For those interested, let me know. -sc

Howdy folks! The day has arrived for user group faithfuls,
professional engineers, hobbyist hackers, new technologiests, and
otherwise interested individuals to gather round 'ye ole' projector[1]
and talk about all things Ruby in our first South Bay Ruby User Group
Meeting (?? I think first? *shrug*). Read on for the official
details and invite.

Administrativa: If you have questions not included below, won't be
able to attend and did RSVP, will be able to attend but didn't RSVP,
are hopelessly lost on your way to the facility (or are planning on
getting lost on your way to the facility), or believe firmly that I've
omitted something that should have been included below, drop me an
email off list and I will promptly correct my yet-to-be-discovered,
and most likely brain-dead, mistake. -sc

Time:
7:00-9:00pm PST, January 17th, 2006

Place (directions included below):
3075 Raymond St.
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Agenda:
Since this is likely the first South Bay RUG (at least in the
last few years), and I haven't identified folks interested in
speaking, I'm going to keep the potential topics broad and
throw down a few areas of potential interest that I field on
the fly. After tomorrow, we'll see what sticks after we do a
quick round-table to see what everyone is up to with Ruby
(including myself after having gone dark on this community for
a few years).

*) The vast strengths and soft under-belly/weaknesses of Rails
(though Rails seems to be a covered topic by Joe). I've
run into a number of interesting gotcha's in doing a few
lighttpd instances that are doing more than 200r/s (peaking
near 1K/s) and can field Q's on this until the weeee hours
of the night (though I promise we won't go past 9pm unless
we've got a feisty crowd).
*) Writing Ruby extensions in C
*) Using ruby + memcache
*) Network management via Ruby
*) Database apps (specifically OLAP + Ruby + PostgreSQL)
*) XML parsing (via libxml)
*) mod_ruby (does anyone still use Apache any more? *grin*)
*) Swifty Nift Rails apps (eg: hieraki)
*) ??? Other topics/suggestions?

[1] Note: As of about 10 hours ago (say 4pm PST), our
projector crapped out and our replacement bulb isn't going to
arrive until later this week. Does someone have a projector
they'd be willing to cart under arm for this meeting? I don't
imagine there will be a pre-made slide deck available for a
round table discussion, but it's handy for examples and jumping
into shared irb(1) sessions.

Food/Drink:
Light snacks and beverages. I didn't get this out in time to
coordinate Pizza or some such meal, but we did get about 15
RSVPs for the night so we may do a quick call to a local pizza
joint or migrate our discussion to a local eatery (if you
prefer non-Meatosaurus like meals, please let me know off
list). If enough folks show up with $~10 in hand, we could
order a pizza or five and dine in style with paper plates.
There is a Red Robin or St. John's near by along with a host
of other restaurants if folks decide to continue discussions
in a more lively setting.

Map:
http://www.gigave.com/contact/map

Note: Google Maps shows us in the wrong place and our location
is better described aerially as "3041 Raymond St" (which isn't
a valid address in the real world).

Directions:

I recommend using the "De la Cruz Blvd" exit instead of
getting off on San Tomas unless you like skipping over 4 lanes
of thick traffic in about 300 yards. If you're going to take
Central Expy or have easy access to San Tomas (or don't mind
tempting fate and driving like a race car driver), use Google
Maps for details, but in 20 words or less: left on Scott, left
on Space, 3075 Raymond will be on the right.

If you're coming from elsewhere in the Bay, I've included
Google's directions below, but have commented on them and
prefixed my blatherings accordingly. In a nut shell: US-101,
get off on De la Cruz Blvd, right on Central Expy, right on
Lafayette St., left on Duane Ave, left on raymond St, arrive at
3075 Raymond St. It's pretty easy to find, but I've included
a more extensive version below.

If you're South Bound on 101:
1. Take the De la Cruz Blvd exit to Santa Clara - go 0.2 mi
(sc)The exit right before SJC/87.

2. Bear right at De la Cruz Blvd - go 0.3 mi
(sc)Off ramp dumps you onto De la Cruz Blvd.

3. Bear right at Central Expy - go 0.2 mi
(sc)This is your first actual turn and is your first
(sc)right at the first light after getting off of the
(sc)freeway.

4. Continue toward Lafayette St - go 0.1 mi
(sc)Not sure why this is here, but you'll pass under
(sc)some train-tracks. I think we can blame city
(sc)planners/engineers.

5. Bear right at Lafayette St - go 0.2 mi
(sc)Make another right at the next stop light.

6. Turn left at Duane Ave - go 0.3 mi
(sc)You will pass a power plant on the left and this
(sc)will be your last opportunity to take a left
(sc)before crossing over 101. A storage company will
(sc)be in front of you: turn left.

7. Turn left at Raymond St - go 0.1 mi
(sc)After passing the Olympic Boat Center, make a
(sc)left. We will be the first data center on the
(sc)left. If you see WilTel, you've gone too far (we
(sc)share a parking lot with them).

8. Ring the door bell.

If you're North Bound on 101:
1. Bear right into the US-101 N entry ramp to San Jose - go 35 mi
(sc)This is the last exit before 87 merges with 101
(sc)and where there's the square eBay/PayPal sign.

2. Take the De la Cruz Blvd exit to Santa Clara - go 0.2 mi
(sc)Take a left when you get light. This will dump
(sc)you on to De la Cruz Blvd.

3. Skip to step 3 of South Bound 101 directions.

PS I'm impressed you read this far.

--
Sean Chittenden