Re: New pg_dump options: exclude tables/schemas, multiple all, wildcards

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New pg_dump options: exclude tables/schemas, multiple all, wildcards
Date: 2006-01-16 16:43:58
Lists: pgsql-patches
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> Attached is a patch to hopefully make pg_dump a lot more useful.
> I started out by making it simply able to avoid dumping a single
> table, but, inspired by David Fetter's patch last November, also
> added in support for multiple items and limited wildcard matching.

I wonder if there's a way to have the server process the matching?  That
way we could have LIKE expressions in the switches, which would be
simpler in the code and more powerful.  I don't know how pg_dump works
so I can't really answer the question.  We desperately need this
capability however, as patches have been floating since before 8.0 and
we still don't have it.

Alvaro Herrera                           Developer,
"Si quieres ser creativo, aprende el arte de perder el tiempo"