Re: New pg_dump options: exclude tables/schemas, multiple all, wildcards

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New pg_dump options: exclude tables/schemas, multiple all, wildcards
Date: 2006-01-16 16:43:58
Lists: pgsql-patches
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> Attached is a patch to hopefully make pg_dump a lot more useful.
> I started out by making it simply able to avoid dumping a single
> table, but, inspired by David Fetter's patch last November, also
> added in support for multiple items and limited wildcard matching.

I wonder if there's a way to have the server process the matching?  That
way we could have LIKE expressions in the switches, which would be
simpler in the code and more powerful.  I don't know how pg_dump works
so I can't really answer the question.  We desperately need this
capability however, as patches have been floating since before 8.0 and
we still don't have it.

--
Alvaro Herrera                           Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org
"Si quieres ser creativo, aprende el arte de perder el tiempo"