Re: [Gforge-admins] Re: PgFoundry Move

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Gforge-admins] Re: PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-16 20:17:47
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Well, the problems with the current setup are well known, including:
> - running on a machine that is sometimes rather loaded

Ya, and if the new server isn't up / running by end of Feb, we can move
this over to the new 64bit server that I've got here in the shop being
configured ...

> - no separation of users / gforge , meaning we have had to restrict what
> users / groups can do for security reasons

The only reason for that is because of the move to the new server ... if
you guys want a users.pgfoundry.org vServer setup, I can do that in <10
minutes ...

> - unsupported (and in fact unknown) mailman version

Wasn't Joshua planning on fixing that?

> - missing features like SVN support

SVN support is there, and last I heard on that, Joshua was reading through
the docs on how to setup that ...

> JoshB and others have been working on a new box, that's true. But it's
> been a very long time coming.

That it has ... and the solution to that constantly seems to be "lets
bring someone else new onto the admin team since they apparently have
spare time" ... if JoshuaD has the spare time to set this up on one of his
Linux boxes (which isn't acceptable, the reason I agreed to move pgfoundry
in the first place was that the box it moved to was running FreeBSD to
match the rest of our *core* servers, including wwwmaster), then how come,
in almost 12 months, he hasn't had the time to do the same getting it up
and running on a server that was bought specifically for that purpose?
It isn't lack of access, since everyone involved with that side project
has root access to do what is required ...

The problem isn't moving the vServer ... the problem is that JoshB wants
to move the vServer *and* upgrade pgfoundry at the same time ... if it was
a matter of just moving the vServer, that could have been done simply
enough 12 months ago with a simple rsync, same as we did when we moved
wwwmaster to another server ...

Personally, I'm in no rush to move it, so whenever JoshB is ready with the
new server, we'll move it ... until then, I'll keep upgrading the hardware
and moving pgFoundry up onto more powerful machines ...

----