Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move

From: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Gforge-admins] PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-16 22:48:59
Lists: pgsql-www

On Monday 16 January 2006 14:39, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > > 80% of the Gforge admins are Linux guys afaik, which is why we need
> > > more FreeBSD help.
> >
> > Which is why at least 2 more FreeBSD guys (Stefan and myself)
> > were brought into the fold a while back. I can't speek for
> > Stefan, but I have remained quite on this while I absorb the
> > implementation specifics of the current setup.
>
> Ok. That's good :-)

> > off a while

> > > We don't have this *really* in the case of most of the
> >
> > infrastructure,
> >
> > > and this isn't in place for pgFoundry right now with Marc hosting,
> > > afaik. It is an issue we should be concerned with
> >
> > regardless of who's
> >
> > > hosting. That and backup. I've tried to address what's
> >
> > happening (or
> >
> > > not happening as I'm afraid) with backup before.
> >
> > Wether we have it today or not is one thing, but making it
> > even harder to do in the future without having a solid plan
> > is even more troublesome in my opinion.
>
> Yeah. The question is more wether it's the right path to move down, if
> it's been so hard to get there.
>
> > > Unlike *BSD? Generally there have been distros like Debian and
> > > Slackware that have been server grade for over 10 years and
> >
> > are solid.
> >
> > > I think the distro of the month is a unwarranted slam from FreeBSD
> > > people who don't see that others see BSD the same way (Free, Net,
> > > Open, etc) just with less choice for their respective communities.
> > > There are lots of Linux distros. Some are better at the
> >
> > desktop, some
> >
> > > are better at the server. Coming up with a consensus of
> >
> > what to use
> >
> > > would be pretty easy to do. That being said, I don't foresee a day
> > > that we'd use Linux just because everything else is running on
> > > FreeBSD. Being consistent is a good thing.
> >
> > For example we raninto an issue here were we ended up with
> > 100% distro lock-in because of a hardware vendor only
> > providing binary kernel modules for one specific distro and
> > kernel version. Granted that is not a fault with "linux" in
> > general, but it did mean I had to support some one ofs where
> > consistency would have been the preferred norm.
>
> Yes, that's generally a big problem - only the commercial distros are
> supported by the hw vendors. But AFAIK, few if any of these vendors put
> out *ANY* drivers for FreeBSD at all.
>
> But that's turning into a discussion Linux vs FreeBSD on technical
> merits. Which is not the point I was making, and I doubt the one others
> was. Technically, they're both good. They both have their good and their
> bad sides, of course.
> The point was one of resources.

Which was my point as well, if we want to have more than 1 admin, then we do
need to discover the path of least resistance over all. This applies to all
aspects of it, if 95% of our admin base has a strong preference to gentoo
(example chosen specificly to get JD's blood boiling), because that is what
they can be proficient in, then it makes sence that we use that. This choice
of Linux vs FreeBSD is a small part of that whole evaluation process, if we
are going to make the leep then we need to make an informed leep, lest we
leep a second time in the near future for the same or nearly the same
reasons.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.