Re: Free WAL caches on switching segments

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Free WAL caches on switching segments
Date: 2006-01-12 05:22:41
Lists: pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > > On plenty of platforms, this won't even compile ...
>
> Yes, but we probably have to have a configure test to see if
> posix_fadvise exists too.  I will keep this for 8.2.

I think we can use _POSIX_ADVISORY_INFO to test if posix_fadvise exists.
Also, I added the check on whether WAL archiving is enabled, because
archivers might use the caches to read the WAL segment.

By the way, should we put posix_fadvise on the separated place with renaming
pg_fadvise? If we use posix_fadvise in other purposes, for example,
read-ahead control, the separation would be good to keep codes clean.

---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Cyber Space Laboratories