A question about pages

From: tmorelli(at)tmorelli(dot)com(dot)br
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: emorelli(at)libra(dot)com(dot)br
Subject: A question about pages
Date: 2006-01-10 22:18:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I've been studying about how PostgreSQL uses pages (data and indexes) lately.
And, I guess, I found out a strange thing (bizarre!)

After creating a table with just one field (char(2048)), and an index, I
inserted 5 rows. But, surprisingly, my table still uses just one page! Even
having 5 x 2048 = 10.240 bytes, How could it be possible? (the page size is 8K)

I've made the test over and over. Where did I make a mistake? Looking at "ls"
information, I see that the file size is 8192 bytes

Could anyone help me?

best regards

Eduardo Morelli