Re: INSERT waiting under heavy load

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INSERT waiting under heavy load
Date: 2006-01-08 18:21:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 04:49:09PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> performance risk in the sort of scenario you are describing.
> (I'm not sure why it would manifest as transactions showing "INSERT
> waiting" state though.)

It's because of I/O. When you have a large number of updates, the
planner always assumes an indexscan (correctly), but you end up
scanning megabytes of dead tuples. With a large number of open
transactions, most of the time VACUUM can't recover the space. I
agree with what Tom said earlier in this thread: the design is
guaranteed to lose.

"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
--H.W. Fowler