Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, kleptog(at)svana(dot)org, gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu, pg(at)rbt(dot)ca, zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and
Date: 2006-01-03 15:58:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 12:58:15PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > >Rephrase that as "full ownership rights must be obtained to load data in
> > >a way that requires dropping any existing indexes and locking out other
> > >users of the table". I don't think the use-case for this will be very
> > >large for non-owners, or indeed even for owners except during initial
> > >table creation; and so I don't think the above argument is strong.
> > >

> > Those restrictions aren't true of Bruce's proposed drop and
> > delete/truncate recovery modes, are they?
>
> Only the owner could do the ALTER, for sure, but once the owner sets it,
> any user with permission to write to the table would have those
> characteristics.

Dumb question: if the ALTER is done inside a transaction, and then
reverted at the end of the transaction, does that mean that no other
transactions would have those permissions? I think the general use-case
is that you only one the session doing the ALTER to be able to use these
special modes, not anyone else who happens to be hitting the table at
that time...