Re: psql & readline & win32

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Subject: Re: psql & readline & win32
Date: 2006-01-02 23:33:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Monday 02 January 2006 18:21, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Tom Lane said:
> > "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
> >> The readline home page at
> >> http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/readline/rltop.html says:
> >> Readline is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU
> >> General Public License, version 2. This means that if you want to use
> >> Readline in a program that you release or distribute to anyone, the
> >> program must be free software and have a GPL-compatible license.
> >>
> >> Our BSD license is recognised as a GPL-compatible license.
> >
> > Whoever wrote that doesn't seem to have bothered to read the GPL.  The
> > language of the GPL is exceedingly clear and specific:
>
> The page links to this: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html which
> lists the BSD licence without the advertising clause as a GPL-compatible
> free software license, of which it says: "This means you can combine a
> module which was released under that license with a GPL-covered module to
> make one larger program."

yowza! Andrew you are reading that backwards. Those aren't licenses you can
combine gpl code with and be ok, those are licenses you can combine with gpl
code and release gpl products!  Non-compatible free software licenses means
the free software license contains additional restrictions that make it
unacceptable to include in gpl code!!  Oy vey!!!

--
Robert Treat