Correct way to set up Variables [Was - Simple Accumulating Number Loop?]

From: Ubence Quevedo <r0d3nt(at)pacbell(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Correct way to set up Variables [Was - Simple Accumulating Number Loop?]
Date: 2005-12-30 21:53:55
Lists: pgsql-general

What would be the correct way to set up a dynamic
variable? I did some further research on my question
below, and I still don't have a definite answer to
whether or not use \set or SET. I did read at
http://www.commandprompt.com/ppbook/x19832 about using
variables in a Function, but that seems like an awful
lot to do [or does MS SQL make it easier than
PostgreSQL?]. Any help, ideas, or clarification are
much appreciated.

-Ubence