Re: Removing SORTFUNC_LT/REVLT

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Removing SORTFUNC_LT/REVLT
Date: 2005-12-29 09:43:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 07:38:36PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> writes:
> > The issue is whether anything you want to ORDER BY needs to be
> > described by an B-tree operator class, and hence have a real sort
> > function.
>
> I think it's reasonable to remove that feature, *after* we provide
> a workable substitute. So, "no" to both questions ...

Hmm. By feature I assume you mean "ORDER BY ... USING" (which no-one
could find an example of) and not "requiring the operator to be part of
an opclass".

The only people affected would be people who defined a less-than
operator but no operator class, which you said yourself would probably
just be encouraging programmer lazyness. I wasn't suggesting removing
the ORDER BY ... USING syntax, just these two options from the sorting
routines.

In fact, I don't think we ever need to remove the syntax, just as long
as the operator is part of an operator class, it'll be fine.

Have a nice day,