Re: ?linux distro?

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Randy Burkhardt <randy(dot)burkhardt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ?linux distro?
Date: 2005-12-29 03:43:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> > Randy, i saw the gentoo recommendation. my
> > understanding of gentoo is that it can take a long
> > time to compile (i think this term is used
> correctly)
> > programs, but when they are compiled, the programs
> are
> > optimized and noticeably faster than on comparable
> > systems.
>
> The real problem with Gentoo is their orientation
> towards "bleeding
> edge" rather than "stable". The idea of building
> your own version with
> your own weird combination of compiler flags that
> perhaps has never been
> tested by anybody else (certainly not the upstream
> developers of the
> software) is just one facet of this. Another is
> that Gentoo positively
> encourages you to put in poorly-tested hacks ...
> such as that CONNECT BY
> patch that they were still pushing for Postgres last
> I heard.
>
> Now "bleeding edge" is fine for a lot of purposes,
> but most people who
> are running a database server are probably more
> interested in "stable".
> If you'd like to think that somebody other than you
> has tested the
> combination of software that you are entrusting your
> valuable data to,
> then you should stay away from Gentoo.
>
> I think most people in the Postgres community who
> use Linux run
> Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora or Debian or SUSE.
>
> (ObDisclaimer: I work for Red Hat, so obviously I
> have a bias in
> this matter.)

i didn't mention this in my prior post, but my
production database at work is fedora core 3 by red
hat.

if you want to develop something and try to sell it
business - Fedora Core is probably your best bet. not
just because Tom works there, either, although that
*really* helps! :-)

PHBs (pointy haired bosses) don't do well when it
comes to understanding something that 1. is free and
2. doesn't have commercial support.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com