Re: ?linux distro?

From: Gordon Haverland <ghaverla(at)materialisations(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ?linux distro?
Date: 2005-12-29 00:21:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 17:11, Randy Burkhardt wrote:
> I'm putting Postgresql 8.1 on linux intel x86 boxes for getting
> my Postgresql feet wet. Which linux distros are good for
> Postgresql 8.1? Desktop type or otherwise..

This is at best, a religious question. Much of the installation
of distribution supported packages is dependent on the flavour of
linux you are using. If most of your boxes are Mandrake, I would
try to stay with Mandrake. I am a Debian (unstable) person, and
I consistently see activity from the Debian packagers on this
mailing list. So, I would think that Debian linux support is
good. But if you are used to RPM based packages, I don't think
that PostgreSQL is a valid reason to change from whatever RPM
based distribution you are running to something Debian based
(.deb).

Gord