Re: file in posgres

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Alain Rodriguez Arias <alainrod(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: file in posgres
Date: 2005-12-27 20:56:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 07:30:56AM -0800, Alain Rodriguez Arias wrote:
> Ok I'm using the EMS PostgreSQL Manager Pro utility to export my data into a
> XML, the thing is that when I got a bytea field, which i use to save files,
> when i tried to import the XML I have just create the file is corrupt.
> I believe it has something to do with the XML encoding I'using or something
> like that???
> Any help please.
> The bytea field I'm using it to save PDF file!!!!!

Can you post the first portion of the suspected bad XML?

> > What do you mean with this???????
> > *binary data in XML needs to be uuencoded afaik,*

XML only allows data within a certain range of values. I'm pretty sure
that you can't just stick raw binary data into XML without ensuring that
it won't contain certain invalid characters, and the most common way to
do that is to base-64 (or uuencode) it.

man uuencode on a unix/linux/OS X box should provide more info.