postmaster and postgres options assimilation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postmaster and postgres options assimilation
Date: 2005-12-23 19:15:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I've looked at the issue of assimilating the options of postmaster and
postgres, which has been mentioned now and then over the years.  Basically,
we have five conflict cases that need to be resolved by breaking one or the
other, namely:

    postmaster: max_connections
    postgres: do not end command at newline
    postmaster: postgres options
    postgres: output file
    postmaster: port number
    postgres: internal use
    postmaster: silent mode
    postgres: work_mem
    postmaster: use SIGSTOP on backend crash
    postgres: statistics

Renaming the postgres side of -N, -o, -p, and -s might not really do any harm,
but the -S option used to be very popular on the postgres command-line via -o
from the postmaster, so I'm afraid that this might break existing start

Does anyone have suggestions about resolving these conflicts, or should we
just forget about this issue altogether?

Subject: Re: kerberos/SSPI (was: Client-side password encryption)