Re: WAL and pg_dump

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mike C <smith(dot)not(dot)western(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL and pg_dump
Date: 2005-12-23 17:54:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

* Simon Riggs (simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 08:43 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Of course, I can also do snapshots with the SAN, but that's a
> > one-time thing unlike PITR where you can choose any point in time to
> > recover to.
>
> Why not use SAN Snapshots *and* PITR? They play nicely.

Yeah, that's something we're working towards actually. I havn't played
with the command-line client quite enough yet to be comfortable sticking
it in a script to do the snapshotting. We also don't have everything on
the SAN (some things can't be due to different security requirements and
some paranoia) so we're making sure that what we're doing will work for
those systems as well. Once I'm happier with the SAN command-line
client I might substitute that in for the tar generation we're doing now
for those databases on the SAN.

Thanks,

Stephen