Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption
Date: 2005-12-19 08:58:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 08:51:23AM -0000, Dave Page wrote:
> > Something like
> > char *pg_gen_encrypted_passwd(const char *passwd, const
> > char *user)
> > with malloc'd result (or NULL on failure) seems more future-proof.
>
> Changing the API is likely to cause fun on Windows for new apps that
> find an old libpq.dll. Perhaps at this point it should become
> libpq82.dll?

Hmm? Libpq already has a version number, I beleive it's upto 4.1 right
now. So if any number is used, it should be that. And secondly, there
have already been new functions added to the API without changing the
library name so why should that happen here?

In windows the trend seems to be to upgrade a library if the one on the
system is too old. If programs are really worried about it, they should
lookup the function dynamically rather than statically...

Have a nice day,