sockets and refused connections

From: Dirk Dil <dirk(dot)dil(at)pt(dot)lu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: sockets and refused connections
Date: 2005-12-16 08:20:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello people,

I need some help getting postgresql started on an amd64 machine running
gentoo 2005.1.

when reloading postgres I get the following error in the logs:
<<
LOG: shutting down
LOG: database system is shut down
LOG: could not send test message on socket for statistics collector:
Operation not permitted
LOG: disabling statistics collector for lack of working socket
LOG: database system was shut down at 2005-12-16 09:04:16 CET
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/AC5188
LOG: redo record is at 0/AC5188; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG: next transaction ID: 559; next OID: 17231
LOG: database system is ready

3rd and 4th lines stand out.

When tring to connect with a client (pgaccess) I get the following error
and no access (no pun intended).

<<
Error trying to connect to database 'test'
on host localhost

PostgreSQL error message: Connection to database failed
couldn't open socket: connection refused

My guess is that I have a socket problem. How do I go about solving
this?

Thanks for any help.

Dirk