Re: Practical theory: graphs

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: Quinn Weaver <qw(at)sf(dot)pm(dot)org>
Cc: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Practical theory: graphs
Date: 2005-12-16 01:21:36
Lists: sfpug
On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 10:47:40PM -0800, Quinn Weaver wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I'm looking for a practical, lay book on graph theory, especially one
> that describes how to represent graphs in RDBMSs.
>
> I fear I am stuck with something by Date, but... Do people have any
> other recommendations?
>
> I specifically don't want formal proofs of mathematical properties of
> graphs.  What I want is something more emic: What can you represent
> with x kind of graph?  What are its properties?  What are the
> algorithms for traversing (or otherwise processing it)?  In short,
> what is it good for?
>
> If anyone can come up with this, I owe them a huge debt of gratitude. :)
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> qw (Quinn Weaver); #President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
> =for information, visit http://sf.pm.org/weblog =cut

I have an article with some algorithms for setting up a tree graph
and traversing it, deleting nodes, etc.  It might help.  I'd be
interested in hearing what exactly you are trying to do--that would
lead to more specific suggestions.

http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/65.php

--elein
elein(at)varlena(dot)com