Re: Schema bug

From: Guillaume LELARGE <guillaume(dot)lelarge(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Schema bug
Date: 2005-12-14 23:40:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Le Mercredi 14 Décembre 2005 18:14, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
> Dave Page wrote:
> >>I'm still not convinced we need to do anything. Renaming public is
> >>highly irregular, and finally showing system objects will make it
> >>reappear. The schema restriction allows individual filters
> >>who likes it.
> >
> > Renaming public is irregular, but if we can allow it without breaking
> > anything else, then I see no reason why we shouldn't do it.
>
> So for god's sake do implement it, but in general I'm less than inclined
> to implement workarounds for people doing weird things to the db. I'm
> waiting for the guy who claims that his "was-public" schema suddenly
> reapperars in pgadmin, while he just renamed it to have it hidden from
> the users.... There *are* admins that deliberately rename pg objects to
> hide them from pgadmin's sight.

I can understand some of your feelings but not this one. If an admin don't
want the public schema, they just have to drop it. Juste take a look at the
PostgreSQL manual :

« There is nothing special about the public schema except that it exists by
default. It can be dropped, too. »
« Also, there is no concept of a public schema in the SQL standard. For
maximum conformance to the standard, you should not use (perhaps even remove)
the public schema. »

From http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ddl-schemas.html

--
Guillaume.