Re: EU data retention

From: "Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher" <stefan(at)net-tex(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: EU data retention
Date: 2005-12-14 21:58:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Also sprach Alvaro Herrera (alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com)
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> > > I may be confusing myself. Hopefully this doesn't mean that a user
> > > in the EU connected to website/ PostgreSQL in the US (as a user) will
> > > require some sort of monstrous logging system on all user activity
> > > within an account.
> >
> > Unless you are a telephony or Internet access provider, this doesn't
> > require any action of you.
>
> ... except setting up appropiate encryption and the like, no?

This will only hide *what* you are mailing, but not *whom* you are
mailing to. Communication graphs can be generated by the collected
information.

And may be you are going to a nice, government paid, trip to
Saudi-Arabia if someone is confusing some names in your
personal communication net ...

--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
--

Daijouji Shigesuke in "Budo Shoshin Shuu"