Next development steps?

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Next development steps?
Date: 2005-12-14 14:39:20
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hello,

  I study the driver and there are lot of code which doesn't work since
libpq support. (e.g.) There is support for updatable cursor which doesn't
work (if I'm right) because it's using backend_tuples which isn't
supported.

  It seems no other (except swamped Dave and Anoop) is supporting ODBC
driver. I propose these steps:

1) clean the code (and UI) with drop all non-trivial features
   - these features make the code unreadable and complicated with
     no proper behaviour right now
   - there is no error report for them since libpq support
     (exclude [#1000413] Optimistic lock cannot be used with updateable
      cursors - I think updateable cursor doesn't work at all)
2) create better transaction support (see Marco Ristola post)
   - http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2005-03/msg00128.php
   - http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2005-03/msg00116.php
3) improve libpq support to use PQprepare, bind parameters
4) full support for only_forward read-only cursor
5) create small steps in support dropped things
and so on ...

Can we create a new development branch at least?

What do you think about it?

Luf

pgsql-odbc by date