Re: [ODBC] BLOB handling compatibility with PostgreSQL > 7.4

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] BLOB handling compatibility with PostgreSQL > 7.4
Date: 2005-12-06 19:27:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-odbc

> > I don't want to reinvent the wheel.
>
> Why do you feel a need to distinguish the domain from its underlying
> type on the client side? They're the same as regards representation
> and so on.

I need to determine wheter to use lo_import for large objects.
There is implementation in ODBC used type named "lo" (comapring type
oid). Type oid doesn't represent only large objects.

> what representation to use etc. Distinguishing domains made their job
> harder not easier.

I agree with you except lo implementation in ODBC ;-)

> If you want an add-on datatype that is really different from OID, then
> make a real datatype (CREATE TYPE). You can still piggyback on OID as
> the representation type --- steal its I/O functions and so on.

Does it cover lo_export which need oid as second parameter?
I'm sorry I'm new in using large objects and creating new types.

Thanks a lot

Luf