Re: First Step to Major Use: Integrated Full-Text

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "C(dot) Filipe Medeiros" <filipe(at)mercenary3(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First Step to Major Use: Integrated Full-Text
Date: 2005-12-06 02:16:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, C. Filipe Medeiros wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>   All good points, however I want to point out this isn't my personal
> issue, since I host my own websites. My only problem is that if I
> license my software out to people, and they have the option of using
> Postgres or MySQL, they're going to support MySQL because more hosts
> support MySQL than those who support Postgres WITH a search module
> enabled. I don't have a problem installing Tsearch2 myself, but I'm not
> going to responsible for doing it for every single one of my licensees.

This falls under "make a list of recommended hosting companies" for your
clients ... there are alot of companies out there that offer PostgreSQL
hosting ... I don't know how flexible they are to adding modules, but I
know that we (http://www.hub.org) definitely do, and I believe that
Joshua's company (http://www.commandprompt.com) does as well ... that was
my big buy-into PostgreSQL back in '95, the fact that you could extend
things through modules ... seems silly to provide PostgreSQL and not be
willing to make use of that big feature ...

----