PL/php 1.1 released

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PL/php 1.1 released
Date: 2005-12-05 17:46:43
Lists: pgsql-announce
I'm pleased to announce the release of PL/php version 1.1, the PHP
procedural language for PostgreSQL.

What's in the 1.1 release:

- The build system no longer requires the PHP nor PostgreSQL sources.
  It uses PGXS, making it all much easier to build compared to the
  original 1.0 release.

- Rudimentary SPI support, meaning you can send queries to the server
  and get/process the results.

- Trigger support: you can write trigger functions, including the
  ability to abort or skip an operation, or modifying the tuple before
  insert/update.

- Function validation: PL/php will tell you right away if the function
  you are creating has a syntax error, and abort the creation, so no
  invalid functions make it into the database.

- You will receive any errors and warnings that PHP generates while
  executing your function.

PL/php 1.1 only works with PostgreSQL 8.0 and 8.1.  It has been tested
with PHP 4.4.1 only, but it should work with PHP 5 as well.

PL/php 1.1 can be downloaded from the Trac page.  The documentation
lives there as well, as a Wiki.
http://projects.commandprompt.com/projects/public/plphp

Differences from the original 1.0 release include:

- Error messages and warnings are passed from PHP to Postgres instead of
  being silently dropped.
- No more memory leaks in SPI functions.
- SPI results are now an opaque PHP resource, so it's no longer possible
  to crash the server by modifying it.
- Memory handling has been overhauled.  There are no known memory leaks.
  Huge SPI results can be processed.
- SRF support has been removed.  It will be added again in the next
  release.  The previous version was found to be too buggy and poorly
  thought-out.
- A private symbol table is created for each function, which facilitates
  the process of releasing memory used by the function.  This symbol
  table is cleared after each call.

For a quick glance of (to? into?) our release plan, please have a look
at the Roadmap in our Trac page:
http://projects.commandprompt.com/projects/public/plphp/roadmap

Please report any issues as a Ticket in the Trac page:
http://projects.commandprompt.com/projects/public/plphp/newticket

Expect a 1.2 release shortly, which will include SRF support.

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org
"I'm always right, but sometimes I'm more right than other times."

pgsql-announce by date