Re: memory leak under heavy load?

From: Tyler MacDonald <tylerm(at)ActiveState(dot)com>
To: Will Glynn <wglynn(at)freedomhealthcare(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: memory leak under heavy load?
Date: 2005-12-02 23:53:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Will Glynn <wglynn(at)freedomhealthcare(dot)org> wrote:
> Postgres completely for a few seconds didn't lower the number. It wasn't
> taken by any process, which leads me to believe that it's a kernel bug.

If it was a shared memory segment allocated a particular way (I
*think* it's "shm_open", I'm not 100% sure), it's not erronious for the
kernel to leave it behind after all processes are gone... see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-apache/2004/06/msg00188.html .

If postgres needs this much shared memory and wants it to go away on
a crash, I think (again, I'm a neophyte at this still, I havent even fixed
mod_bt fo rthis yet) that an mmap()ed file is the way to go... but then
don't you need enough harddrive space to support your shared memory?

I don't know, this whole things confusing...

- Tyler