Re: BUG #2088: logfiles only readable by instance owner

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dick Snippe <Dick(dot)Snippe(at)tech(dot)omroep(dot)nl>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2088: logfiles only readable by instance owner
Date: 2005-12-02 20:11:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 12:59:17PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Dick Snippe wrote:

> > > The logfile typically contains data just as sensitive as the data files,
> >
> > true.
> >
> > > so I disagree.
> >
> > we run postgresql as a database engine behind a number of websites.
> > Typically all the data in the database is public data . It would be very
> > nice if there was a method of letting our developers _read_ the logfile,
> > without giving them _write_ access to the data files.
> >
> > What wrong with making this configurable?
>
> We can't add every features that people ask for or our software would be
> unusable. If your log files recycle at midnight, can't you run a cron
> job to chmod it? I suppose if you can find other users who would like
> to set the mode flags on the file, we can add it.

Would it be possible to rely on setting umask in the shell instead of
hardcoding 077? I guess that would end up being dependant on different
startup scripts though, so it's probably not a good idea.

An alternative is to just use syslog. Or I believe you could use a
log-rotation program that allows you to define permissions and tell
PostgreSQL not to rotate.