Re: BUG #2088: logfiles only readable by instance owner

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dick Snippe <Dick(dot)Snippe(at)tech(dot)omroep(dot)nl>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2088: logfiles only readable by instance owner
Date: 2005-12-02 17:59:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dick Snippe wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 12:30:17AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > "Dick Snippe" <Dick(dot)Snippe(at)tech(dot)omroep(dot)nl> writes:
> > > setting umask 077 makes sense for the data files, but not per se for the
> > > logfile.
> >
> > The logfile typically contains data just as sensitive as the data files,
>
> true.
>
> > so I disagree.
>
> we run postgresql as a database engine behind a number of websites.
> Typically all the data in the database is public data . It would be very
> nice if there was a method of letting our developers _read_ the logfile,
> without giving them _write_ access to the data files.
>
> What wrong with making this configurable?

We can't add every features that people ask for or our software would be
unusable. If your log files recycle at midnight, can't you run a cron
job to chmod it? I suppose if you can find other users who would like
to set the mode flags on the file, we can add it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us