Re: Improving count(*)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving count(*)
Date: 2005-12-01 22:33:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Add idea to TODO:

* Allow data to be pulled directly from indexes

Currently indexes do not have enough tuple visibility information
to allow data to be pulled from the index without also accessing
the heap. One way to allow this is to set a bit on index tuples
to indicate if a tuple is currently visible to all transactions
when the first valid heap lookup happens. This bit would have to
be cleared when a heap tuple is expired. Another idea is to maintain
a bitmap of heap pages where all rows are visible to all backends,
and allow index lookups to reference that bitmap to avoid heap
lookups, perhaps the same bitmap we might add someday to determine
which heap pages need vacuuming.

I am thinking we are at the point where between this usage and vacuum
that a bitmap for each table is something we should work on for 8.2.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us