Re: PostgreSQL 8.1.0-2 WinXP Services

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.1.0-2 WinXP Services
Date: 2005-11-29 18:16:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Ilias Goudaropoulos <ig(at)freemail(dot)gr> wrote:

> Sorry everybody for the typo. I meant to write
> 8.1.0-2.
>
> I had installed PostgreSQL 8.0.4 and uninstalled it
> completely.
> For half a month now (or even more), I am trying a
> clean install of
> PostgreSQL 8.1.0-2 and I am getting the errors
> described in my
> previous mail. I have also cheked and followed every
> guide available on
> installing PostgreSQLwithout success.
>
> Hope this clears things for you now.

Ilias, i'd venture to say that most folks here run
pgsql on linux, so you aren't being ignored.

you need to delete your prior service (not too hard)
and your user (the user is invisible to winxp home's
gui. you may be able to view the user in xp pro, i
don't know).

from the tutorial i previously linked...

Delete the Service:

1. Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools ->
Services -> scroll to find the PostgreSQL service name
(may or may not be the display name) -> delete the
PostgreSQL service.

Delete the User (“postgres” is the assumed user
name, change as required):

Start -> Run... -> type “cmd” (without the quotes)
-> type in the following “net user postgres
/delete” (without the quotes).

A restart may or may not be required, but I recommend
it since it can't hurt.

try installing pgsql per the instructions found here:

http://us.f333.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?MsgId=1673_0_3388_1143_5344_0_10143_21825_1548042891_oSObkYn4Ur5HQV71mWzmsQqQcG8peZcLoU3LrOHCseTqL_usuMLqGuRavgk33giMgmwVKFaHlfrFmPeDRDS5vMw4jRMTE7rWWDk1KnBkxiJbAYlFhz7gz3A6gQBxj8u4AK5OcCCDjATeKUalr.f87PDVClOVZhem&Idx=6&YY=4022&inc=100&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b&box=Web%20Host

i have done it multiple times and it works.

if you had previously deleted the pgsql user and the
pgsql service, you are going to have to wait for a
more advanced windows or postgres user to help you
out.

someone mentioned a firewall issue. it would be very
smart to disable all that type of software to before
running the install. it probably wouldn't hurt to
disable your anti-virus software, too. it might not
help, but it can't hurt.

let us know how it goes.

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/