Re: BUG #2071: ERROR: invalid multibyte character for locale

From: tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de (Tomas Zerolo)
To: Prakash Nair <prakashblr(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2071: ERROR: invalid multibyte character for locale
Date: 2005-11-26 06:10:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:55:44AM +0000, Prakash Nair wrote:

> Bug reference:      2071
> Logged by:          Prakash Nair
> Email address:      prakashblr(at)hotmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.4
> Operating system:   RHES
> Details:
>
> Hello,
>
> Got the error in postgres console when we do a lower() or upper().
>
> Postgres console gives following error,
>
> ERROR:  invalid multibyte character for locale
> HINT:  The server's LC_CTYPE locale is probably incompatible with the
> database encoding.
>
> Can any one please help me, I need to use Unicode encoding for my database.
> (Not able to upgrade to postgres 8.10. as I was getting someother issues
> when I try to restore  database)

See the related, previous post.

Basically there are four places where encoding might be relevant:

- Did you create the database in utf-8 encoding? (probably yes)

- What is the nevironment of the server process? That is: what does the
  shell command 'locale' say when it is issued in the same environment
  as the server starts? (that is not necessarily the environment you get
  if you start a shell!). Try, e.g. putting ''export LANG=us_US.UTF-8''
  just before the server is called (typically in /etc/init.d/postgresql
  or thereabout.

- What is your client's encoding (issue the SQL command ''SHOW
  CLIENT_ENCODING'' to learn about that (or ''SET CLIENT_ENCODING'' to
  change that)

- What is the locale of your client? (if it's on an unix-like system,
  see above. Otherwise I have no idea).

Hope that helps
-- tomas