BUG #2071: ERROR: invalid multibyte character for locale

From: "Prakash Nair" <prakashblr(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2071: ERROR: invalid multibyte character for locale
Date: 2005-11-25 11:55:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      2071
Logged by:          Prakash Nair
Email address:      prakashblr(at)hotmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.4
Operating system:   RHES
Details:

Hello,

Got the error in postgres console when we do a lower() or upper().

Postgres console gives following error,

ERROR:  invalid multibyte character for locale
HINT:  The server's LC_CTYPE locale is probably incompatible with the
database encoding.

Can any one please help me, I need to use Unicode encoding for my database.
(Not able to upgrade to postgres 8.10. as I was getting someother issues
when I try to restore  database)

Looks forward for anyone's fast reply.

Thanks,
Prakash