Re: Max no of commands per transaction

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Yogvinder Singh <yogvinder(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Max no of commands per transaction
Date: 2005-11-22 12:05:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

Yogvinder Singh wrote:
> hi,
> i am getting an error "ERROR: You may only have 2^32-1 commands per transaction".
> Can anyone tell where this size 2^32-1 is specified....
> I want to reduce this size...

I doubt you can reduce it without causing problems for the system,
because some commands use more than one "command" internally. Exactly
what are you planning to do with it?

It would actually be trivial to put a lower limit (see the
CommandCounterIncrement function -- you'll have to recompile), but I
guess I don't see the point.