Can PostgreSQL do data type automated casting in prepared statement?

From: Tjioe Ai Xin <xinxincute(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Can PostgreSQL do data type automated casting in prepared statement?
Date: 2005-11-21 10:18:26
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dear all,

I already used PostgreSQL from version 7.3.3.
So far, I have no problem about using prepared statement especially in data type.

From Mr. Kris Jurka I got answer that it because of different data type when I try to cast them.
>I'm guessing you are using PreparedStatement.setString for a numeric
>value.  Do you have a query like "WHERE colname / ? " ?  You need to use a
>different setXXX method that takes a numeric value.

My code is like this:
I have query: "Select count(*) / paramPage from tblFirst where condition";
The paramPage were filled from parameter which I specified as string data type.
So I using setString method for my prepared statement for passing paramPage value.
When I'm using the old jdbc driver pg74jdbc3.jar, I got no problem at all.
But when I try to upgrade my PostgreSQL to 8.0.3. I got problem data type error.

Can PostgreSQL do data type automated casting in prepared statement again?
So I do not need change my code :)

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Xin Xin