Re: "ld.so.l: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: fatal: libreadline.so.4: open failed: No such file or directory"

From: olive Mckenzie <olivemckenzie2003(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "ld.so.l: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: fatal: libreadline.so.4: open failed: No such file or directory"
Date: 2005-11-19 22:01:10
Lists: pgsql-admin
  What is the exact command you are running (copy/paste)? As simply issuing "su
postgres" should not run initdb on login.

  I typed

  # su postgres
  $ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

  Then I got the message

  $ ld.so.l: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: fatal: libreadline.so.4: open failed: No such file or directory

  Note /usr/local/pgsql/data is owned by postgres

  Are you installing from the TARFILE or from a solaris pkg?

  I have installed all the files from Sun freeware sites for solaris 10 .gz files even postgresql-8.0.1.

  gunzip to unpack and pkgadd -d file name minus .gz to install.

  To get your command to run, you probably just need to do the following before
you execute it, you could also add this to your bash profile:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/sfw/lib

  Where is my bash file

  in /etc/skel/

  I have    local.cshrc    local.login and local.profile

  Olive

Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com> wrote:
  Olive, please don't take the pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org address out of the
list as others will likely have excellent info for you as well, plus people
can search the archives when they have similar problems.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/