Re: restore challenge

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: restore challenge
Date: 2005-11-17 21:24:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 02:04:42PM -0500, Chris Browne wrote:
> If your OS or disk hardware supports some sort of "snapshotting"
> technology, so that you can grab a copy of the whole thing as an
> instant atomic operation, that provides a way to grab a copy while
> postmaster is running. If not, then you have to take a copy while the
> postmaster is shut down.

It's also worth noting that you _really really_ want to test that
snapshotting capability. I've heard some people grumble about "it
didn't work for me" or some such. There are others who've reported
it works (and it ought to, if the snapshots work as advertised --
just be sure you know what the snapshots actually are).

In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
--Brad Holland