Re: Visual Studio 2005 not happy with postgresql

From: "P(dot)M" <pmdanger(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tobias Britz <tobias(dot)britz(at)ersystems(dot)ch>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Visual Studio 2005 not happy with postgresql
Date: 2005-11-16 19:00:20
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

i did not experience such issue but when i use ODBCConnection from VS.NET 2005 (VB.net in fact), in debug mode, my connection test works perfectly, but when i try to create a DB on-fly, my VB.net seems to freeze... around the same time, that the timeout session is, and give me back the control displaying a message that connection has be closed....

but if i test my application in release mode, it works perfectly...

I suppose that VS.net ODBC connector has some issue with DB in debug mode....try your application in runtime.

HT,
Maileen

Tobias Britz <tobias(dot)britz(at)ersystems(dot)ch> wrote: Hi community!

Here is my problem:

Postgresql 8.1 installed on windows XP (machine 1) with DB up and running. I can access/change/see all my tables, etc with EMS Postgresql manager
On Machine 2 (windows XP) I've installed the pg ODBC drivers 8.01.01 and created a System DSN to machine 1
I tested this DSN with MS Access, and I could see my tables, add items, launch queries
Now, I need to use Visual Studio 2005 (with .Net 2.0) for our project and would like to be able to create XSD files visually (using the VS2005 built-in tools). In VS2005 Server Explorer, I created a new Database Connection, using the Microsoft ODBC Data Source (ODBC) with the .Net ODBC Data Provider selected. Pointed the thing to my working ODBC DSN and tested the connection
Connection works (says VS2005)
Now I have a new Data Connection in the Server Explorer, with 3 tree entries; Tables, Views, Procedures. My problem is that "Tables" is empty, "Views" is empty but "Procedures" contains hundreds of postgres functions.
I would like to see my tables and views!
Remark:

I tried OLEDB, whitout success either. VS2005 says that there where "some" errors and that "no work could be done"... cool he?!
Can someone please help me, as I've lost already 2 days figuring out what is going wrong here. I google nearly every forum about that..

Thanks in advance,

Tobias Britz
ER Systems SA