Re: [DOCS] 8.1 PDF Documentation.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] 8.1 PDF Documentation.
Date: 2005-11-15 11:23:41
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am still unclear why there is no more reliable SGML toolchain for PDF
> output after all these years. Seems things have improved because we now
> have bookmarks, but still, why is this functionality not more mainstream.

There is no SGML toolchain because SGML has been abandoned as the
DocBook markup language. The toolchain that everybody else uses is
based on XML DocBook. It has been proposed that we abandon SGML and
jump to XML, but the idea has been shot down. And it's possible to
convert our SGML to XML automatically and process it with the newer
toolchain.