Re: 8.1 PDF Documentation.

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.1 PDF Documentation.
Date: 2005-11-15 05:20:37
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 12:13:01AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
> > > It took about two days each (run serially) on a 2xOpteron 246 using debian
> > > unstable's:
> > > openjade: 1.3.2-8
> > > opensp: 1.5.1/0-4
> > > docbook-dsssl: 1.79-3
> >
> > BTW, the -US file sends my (rather old) copy of acroread into what
> > may be an infinite loop ... I gave up waiting for it to redisplay
> > after trying to scroll down the bookmarks window. Even just
> > displaying successive pages is painfully slow.
> >
> > I suspect there's something wrong with the toolset you're using.
>
> I am using Acrobat 5.0 on XP and BSD/OS and it worked fine for me,
> including bookmarks. It was very fast.

Acrobat works beautifully for me, too. :)

> I am still unclear why there is no more reliable SGML toolchain for
> PDF output after all these years. Seems things have improved
> because we now have bookmarks, but still, why is this functionality
> not more mainstream.

See, there are these tuits, and they're round, and they're a precious
resource usually spent on writing and testing C code rather than on
improving (and helping transition adoption of) the SGML toolchain.

Maybe we can get some kind soul(s) to donate some tuits and/or pay
somebody a wage for awhile to fix the toolchain etc. :)

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100 mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!