Re: PostgreSQL contra Oracle

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL contra Oracle
Date: 2005-11-01 01:06:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 11:28:11AM -0800, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> On Monday 31 October 2005 07:22, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> > While we're talking Oracle... :-)
> >
> > I attended an Oracle sales talk last week. Well, it was labeled "Technical
> > information", but that's another story.
> >
> > I'd like to ask if PostgreSQL has some of the features being promoted.
> >
> > Log miner. A tool that walks the Undo logs an returns statements to update
> > with old data. Could be useful for recovering specific table data, Data
> > Mining etc.
> > In the PostgreSQL world, it couldn't be dificult to do the same with WAL,
> > or?
> >
> > Locator. As I recall, it is a GIS app, written into Oracle. Someone may
> > know more?
>
> If it's GIS then postgis (http://www.postgis.org) is probably the closest
> thing we (being the PostgreSQL community, not the project itself) have to it.

You would be surprised what you can do with maps and the built in geometric
types.

> > Feature index. Interesting feature from Virage. It indexes LOBs, say a
> > picture or an videostream. Makes it possible to find closest match.
>
> This sounds like a form of meta data. I would think it requires some sort of
> middleware to do effectively. But it's not outside of the realm of being
> feasible.

This is possible by writing a GiST or other index on the data.

> > Fine Grain Audit. Some rules based autit mechanism where you can log e.g.
> > all access to specific data.
> >
> > Information Life Cycle Management. A built-in way to degrade data
> > importance. Maybe you want to move old rows onto cheaper disks, compress
> > them or so.
>
> I would think this would be easy to implement with the use of triggers,
> tablespaces, partitioning / constraint exclusion and some hefty business
> logic rules.

The thing to remember is that most things are perfectly and in some cases
easily feasible in postgres because it is extensible. Need a data type?
Add a new one. Need to do special processing for a where clause or
a row set? Write a procedure. There is very little you cannot do unless
you run into wanting extra SQL syntax for it. On the other hand, I've
seen some, ahum, misguided extensions as well.

Elein
elein(at)varlena(dot)com Varlena, LLC www.varlena.com

PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training

PostgreSQL General Bits http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/