Re: Please HELP - URGENT - transaction wraparound error

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: John Sidney-Woollett <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please HELP - URGENT - transaction wraparound error
Date: 2005-10-30 13:56:31
Lists: pgsql-general
On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 08:50:18AM +0000, John Sidney-Woollett wrote:
> Oh my god!....
>
> DB is pg 7.4.6 on linux

Firstly, check pg_database, it should tell you which databases need to
be vacuumed. Any database you regularly vacuumed is fine so maybe the
corruption is in some other database you don't remember?

> 1) Why do have we data corruption? I thought we were doing everything we
> needed to stop any wraparound... Are the pg docs inadequate, or did I
> misunderstand what needed to be done?

You *may* have corruption. Anything you vacuumed recently should be
fine.

> 2) What can I do to recover the data?

Check whether anything is lost first.

> How do I stop this EVER happening again??!!!

Have you read this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/maintenance.html#VACUUM-FOR-WRAPAROUND

Hope this helps,