Re: add_missing_from breaks existing views

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, andrew(at)supernews(dot)com
Subject: Re: add_missing_from breaks existing views
Date: 2005-10-30 16:26:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 26 October 2005 15:33, Andrew - Supernews wrote:
> On 2005-10-26, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Andrew - Supernews <andrew+nonews(at)supernews(dot)com> writes:
> >>
> >> I'm not claiming it's the user's mistake. My point is that if the user
> >> did in fact remove add_missing_from after creating views that depend on
> >> it, then they have already run into a bug.
> >
> > No, you're looking at this in the wrong direction.
> It's quite possible that in trimming my messages for posting I'm removing
> too much of the context; is that the case? To recap:
> - you pointed out that there was an incompatibility.
> - I pointed out a way in which that incompatibility can be substantially
> reduced in scope, from affecting "everyone who has views defined using
> add_missing_from" to only affecting "everyone who has views defined using
> add_missing_from but who has subsequently turned that off, in spite of the
> bugs that they would encounter in doing so".
> - you respond by saying there is an incompatibility.
> Now, I don't know how I can possibly be clearer about this. I know that
> changing the default add_missing_from causes an incompatibility. If you
> prefer to keep it, rather than use a solution which will work for everyone
> who (a) isn't already vulnerable to dump+restore problems and (b) will use
> 8.1's pg_dump to upgrade, then personally I couldn't care less. I'm just
> surprised by the attitude.

Actually I rather liked your solution, except that it probably doesn't do
enough to get people off that setting as others want. Ie. I generally run
with that setting on, but I certainly don't make views/rules/etc.. that rely
on that setting. Still in your scenario, when upgrading to 8.1 I'd still end
up with the setting on rather than the intended default of off.

Robert Treat