Re: [Mapbender-users] postgis / mediawiki / postgresql was Re: [Freegis-list] Re: [GENERAL] Map of Postgresql Users (OT)

From: jf(at)mormo(dot)org (Jens Frank)
To: mapbender-users(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Claire McLister <mclister(at)zeesource(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Brent Wood <b(dot)wood(at)niwa(dot)co(dot)nz>, postgis-users(at)postgis(dot)refractions(dot)net, MAPSERVER-USERS(at)LISTS(dot)UMN(dot)EDU, freegis-list(at)intevation(dot)de, cavallini(at)faunalia(dot)it
Subject: Re: [Mapbender-users] postgis / mediawiki / postgresql was Re: [Freegis-list] Re: [GENERAL] Map of Postgresql Users (OT)
Date: 2005-10-29 12:22:38
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 09:47:17PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Friday 28 October 2005 06:44, Arnulf Christl wrote:
> > Yet another idea: Mediawiki (the
> > Wikipedia software) is also right now introducing geometries to the Wiki
> > database - obviously also using PostgreSQL/PostGIS. This would be
> > another cool multiplier.. and there we also meet with Google again.
>
> Wha? mediawiki is planning to use postgis with thier software? I'm currently
> working with some folks on a working port of wikimedia to postgresql
> (allowing things like transactions and full text searching all in the same
> database). That would certainly seem to dovetail into this... you have any
> links I could read up on the wikipedia/postgis effort on ?

There's nothing yet written down. There's some working code, and I'm
just improving it from "proof of concept" stage to pre-production level.
The code I'm working on is an extension to MediaWiki. It is independent
of the article storage. I'm sure storing everything in one DB would be
better from a design point of view, but it's easier for us to scale if
we keep things apart. Especially new features like these where we've no
idea about the performance impact.

If you're improving MediaWiki's Postgres support we'd of course be happy
to get your patches into the main code tree.

Regards,

JeLuF