Installation trouble

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: pgsql general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Installation trouble
Date: 2005-10-28 23:44:44
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm having difficulty installing 8.0.4. Server is SuSE 8.2 without PG
installed. However some client libraries are Yast installed due to
dependency reconciliation.

I'm doing the standard install (./configure, make, make install) and
have created the postgres user and appropriate data directory but
when I run:

initdb /var/lib/pgsql/data

I get:

initdb: file "/usr/share/postgres.bki" does not exist
This means you have a corrupted installation or identified
the wrong directory with the invocation option -L.

Running:

initdb -L /usr/local/pgsql/share/ /var/lib/pgsql/data

Looks pretty good at first but fails at:

creating conversions ... FATAL: could not access file
"$libdir/ascii_and_mic": No such file or directory

Reports from pg_config:
--libdir: /usr/lib
--bindir: /usr/bin
--configure: -blank-
--includedir-server: /usr/include/server
--includedir: /usr/include
--pgxs: /usr/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk
--pkglibdir: /usr/lib

Note, the directories shown for libdir, bindir, includedir and such
are not where the files were actually installed.

Now I could just start shuffling files around till things work but
since I've installed/upgraded many PG installations without this
difficulty I suspect there is something basic that I'm missing that
is causing all of the trouble. Suggestions?

Cheers,
Steve