Re: Function written in C, hangs on one machine and not another...

From: CG <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, postgresql listserv <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Function written in C, hangs on one machine and not another...
Date: 2005-10-28 14:49:17
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 07:24:12AM -0700, CG wrote:
> Not entirely sure, but I'm sure the size of the write matters. For
> example, if your test rpogram, did you check that the write actually
> wrote everything?

There's beginning and ending tokens in the FDF filespec. The toolkit complains
if the data isn't all there...

> Firstly, instead of using stdin, you can pass /dev/fd/<file descriptor>
> as the filename (on Linux). This avoids stuffing with stdin.

That's a FANTASTIC idea. I'll give it a go. We'll cross our fingers, hold our
breath, and hope that the blocking issue evaporates. :)

> ISTM the best idea: write the data to disk then read it back. Why be
> difficult when you can do it easily...

I was never supposed to have to do this sort of thing. The idea was never to
pull individual peices of data out of the FDFs. Now, the bosses say I have to
do some usage analysis, and the data is locked up tight in an FDF. I suppose I
could write 1000000+ files to disk and read them back off and then delete them.
At the time, that seemed more insane to me than trying to pump data into stdin.
I'm not so sure anymore.......... :)

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs