Re: relfilenode

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: relfilenode
Date: 2005-10-28 01:48:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 09:12:15PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> The docs have this description for pg_class::relfilenode: "Name of the
> on-disk file of this relation; 0 if none". However, Elein just pointed
> out to me that there are no entries with 0, so this description seems
> incorrect. What should we say? It appears that in at least some of these
> cases the value is the same as the oid.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

> match

I found that in my test db only pg_xactlock has a relfilenode == 0.
The sequences, tables and primary keys seem to have files in
PGDATA/base/* which correspond to the relfilenode.
However, views seem to have an oid I cannot correlate to anything.

So we need to say what 0 means and what the oid is for the views.

--elein
elein(at)varlena(dot)com