Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size <a_big_number_here>

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size <a_big_number_here>
Date: 2005-10-27 13:54:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 03:45:16PM +0200, Matteo Beccati wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> >Well, this apparently indicates a bug in the new multixact code, but
> >there's not enough info here to figure out what went wrong.  Can you
> >create a test case that will let someone else reproduce the problem?
>
> Unfortunately the error pops up randomly in a very complex app/db and I
> am unable to produce a test case :(

Go up a few levels to GetMultiXactIdMembers and type "info locals", see
if we can get the values of some of the variables there. Also, if you
can turn the debugging down to -O0, that will make the results in gdb
much more reliable.

It's clear at least that "length" is negative, but what about the other
variables...

Do you use a lot of subtransactions, function, savepoints, anything
like that?

Hope this helps,