Re: [HACKERS] expanded \df+ display broken in beta4

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] expanded \df+ display broken in beta4
Date: 2005-10-27 13:06:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Michael Paesold wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > One idea is to hack \d not to honor \x, and let the others honor it.
> > > That would probably hit most of the cases people will use in 8.1.
> > >
> > > In fact, \d is pretty special because it is more of a group of outputs,
> > > unlike \df, which is a single table output.
> >
> > +1 from me. That seems like a workable compromise and should probably
> > meet the needs of the author of the patch to change the \x behavior.
>
> OK, here is a patch that disables expanded output only for \d tablename.

The patch is even easier than the original patch. There was never any
need for "normal_query". Because the structure is a copy of the
session-wide structure, we can just set expanded to true/false as
desired.

I have applied this updated patch which simply turns off expanded mode
for \d tablename. That seemed like the only complex backslash output in
describe.c. I have also updated the release notes.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 3.7 KB